Sometimes you just need a big bowl of comfort food that takes very little effort to make and this is my go-to: super easy garlic and lemon pasta with lots of fresh parsley and cheese on top. It’s so simple, done in seconds (well, about 15 mins) and it’s SO good.
Here I had it with leftover chicken thighs. I love batch cooking chicken on the griddle and keeping it in the fridge for quick meals like that. But otherwise, a quick fried or poached egg is another great choice of protein to add on top. 🙂
P.S.: for the pasta, I used gluten free spaghetti from ASDA. I really like their gluten free pasta and the price is amazing compared to some other supermarkets/brands (only 85p)!
- 200g pasta (I used gluten free ASDA spaghetti)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or butter/a mix of both)
- 4 garlic cloves
- Juice of one lemon
- Fresh parsley (to taste / a handful)
- Black pepper
- 50g cheese of your choice (I usually use extra mature cheddar or parmesan)
- Cook the pasta – fill a large saucepan with water and add a generous amount of salt. Bring to a boil, then add your pasta and stir quickly (to prevent sticking). Let it cook, only stirring from time to time. Note: base yourself on the recommended cooking time on your pasta packaging (it varies a lot), but the best way to get it just right is to keep giving it a try on and off. Once you reach an al dente texture (soft, but with still a certain firmness to it), immediately drain it in a colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, finely chop (or crush) the garlic cloves and a handful of fresh parsley.
- Once the pasta is ready, heat up the olive oil (and/or butter) in a non-stick pan on low heat.
- Add the crushed garlic and pan fry for a minute or so.
- Then add the cooked pasta along with 4 tablespoons of water and the juice of a lemon. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Toss it around gently and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with a generous amount of fresh parsley and some grated cheese on top (about 25g per serving). You can also melt the cheese under the grill quickly.