How to make super crispy gluten free chicken tenders at home; coated in a simple, easy and delicious mixture of breadcrumbs and parmesan.
P.S.: for these I used Belle & Wilde‘s delicious gluten free breadcrumbs which they kindly sent me a while ago. They worked so well in this recipe, the texture came out perfectly crispy! But of course you can use any gluten free breadcrumbs you have access to where you live. 🙂
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Cooking oil or fat of your choice (to deep fry - I use lard)
- 1 large egg
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 30g parmesan cheese
- 30g gluten free breadcrumbs (I used Belle & Wilde)
- Sour cream
FRYING TIME: about 6 minutes
PREPARE AND COAT THE CHICKEN:
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips.
- Beat an egg in a bowl and add a dash of garlic powder, oregano, salt and black pepper (to taste).
- Stir the chicken strips into the egg mixture until they are completely covered and set them aside. You can marinate them for a while for an even better flavour and texture, but it’s not necessary.
- Meanwhile, grate the parmesan cheese and mix with the breadcrumbs. All you need is equal parts of both. Depending on the size of your chicken breasts, you may need a bit more or less than what I used.
- Take one chicken strip, let any excess egg drip off and completely cover in breadcrumbs. Then set it aside on a plate and repeat with the rest.
- Cover with cling film and place them in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. This will help the breadcrumbs stick. Ideally you can freeze until solid, but 10-15 mins still worked for me.
COOK YOUR GLUTEN FREE CHICKEN TENDERS:
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oil or lard to 180C (356F). If you don’t have a fryer, that’s ok. You can use a saucepan or a wok with a couple of inches of oil/fat and use a food thermometer to track the temperature and adjust it as needed. I often do that and it works just as well.
- Carefully lower some chicken tenders into the hot oil (cook them in small batches to avoid overcrowding the pan), start your timer and cook for about 6 minutes, until they are golden brown and crispy. If using a pan, check the temperature on and off and adjust as needed. Note: the cooking time will vary depending on the size of your chicken tenders. Take one out as a test and check that it’s fully cooked, then adjust as needed.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice. We opted simply for sour cream which was absolutely delicious! 🙂
Hope you like them! 🙂