We had such a nice brunch earlier today: creamy cheesy baked eggs on a bed of buttery breadcrumbs, roasted peppers, red onions and tomatoes and extra mature cheddar and grana padano on top. Served with buttered toasts on the side.
It was a nice change from the usual and absolutely delicious. It’s something I will certainly be making again. 😛
- 120g double cream (heavy cream)
- 1 tsp plain gluten free flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- A large tomato
- Black pepper
- Cooking spray or olive oil (I used Fry Light)
- 1 tsp of butter (to grease the baking dishes)
- 2-3 Tbsp gluten free breadcrumbs (I used Belle & Wilde)
- 2 eggs
- 40g extra mature cheddar
- 30g grana padano (or parmesan)
ROAST THE VEGETABLES:
- Finely slice the onion and bell pepper and cut the tomato into cubes.
- Line a baking tray with foil and fold up the sides (just so none of the juices drip out).
- Mix the vegetables on foil with a generous dash of salt and black pepper along with some cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place under the grill until soft and a bit charred.
MEANWHILE, PREPARE THE CREAM:
- Finely chop a few garlic cloves.
- Heat up a tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan on low heat.
- Fry the garlic briefly, until fragrant, and add some smoked paprika and cayenne pepper (to taste) as well as a dash of salt and black pepper.
- Add a heaped teaspoon of plain flour and mix until you have a smooth paste.
- Then add the cream and stir with a spatula or whisk until the cream thickens.
ASSEMBLE YOUR CREAMY BAKED EGGS:
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C (425F).
- Grease two small oven dishes with butter (about half a teaspoon for each).
- Add a layer of gluten free breadcrumbs at the bottom (I put about 2 good tablespoons, but the amount is up to you). It might seem pointless to some, but it does absorb the excess liquid from the vegetables and also gives the dish a nice added touch.
- Next, add half of the roasted vegetables on top.
- Then add the thickened cream on top and dig a small hole to form a well for the egg.
- Crack an egg into it.
- Place your oven dishes on a baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (220C / 425F) and raise the shelf higher up than the middle.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Note: the eggs won’t be fully cooked and set at this point, this is completely normal.
PUT YOUR BAKED EGGS UNDER THE GRILL:
- Then take them out of the oven and sprinkle the grated cheeses on top. You can also put a bit of extra cream under the cheese if you wish.
- Place them under the grill and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Until the cheese has fully melted and is turning golden. The yolks should still be runny at this point, but the whites will be cooked.
- Serve with buttered toasts. 🙂 I used Belle & Wilde seeded bread here which they kindly gifted me.
Hope you enjoy these! 🙂