We made such delicious fried fish tacos the other day with the crispiest fish fingers coated in tortilla chip ‘breadcrumbs’ + homemade Mexican style pickled onions, pan fried peppers with tajin seasonings, fresh coriander, extra mature cheddar, sour cream and freshly squeezed lime juice. 😛
1. I used cod, but you can use any white fish or even chicken.
2. For a healthier alternative, you can just skip the breadcrumbs and bake/grill the fish instead of frying.
3. The tajin seasoning is absolutely delicious and basically a blend of dehydrated lime, chilli and sea salt. You can find it in some supermarkets, but you can also easily make your own by dehydrating lime and grinding it to a powder in a spice grinder. I’ll be posting a recipe for it if anyone is interested. 🙂
4. For the taco shells, I used Old El Paso’s regular gluten free tortillas.
For the Mexican style pickled onions:
You can check out my RECIPE HERE. It’s very simple, takes seconds to prepare and makes the best garnish. 🙂
- 250g white fish (I used cod)
- 70g tortilla chips (or you can use gf breadcrumbs)
- 2 Tbsp plain all purpose gluten free flour (I used ASDA)
- 1 egg
- Optional: seasonings of your choice
- Cooking oil or fat of your choice (to fry)
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- Tajin seasonings
- Olive oil
- Pickled red onions
- Extra mature cheddar
- Fresh coriander
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Gluten free taco shells (I used Old El Paso)
FOR THE FISH:
- Crunch up the tortilla crisps into crumbs. You can put them into a ziplock bag to make the process easier and less messy.
- Then stir in 2 tablespoons of plain flour and a dash of salt. I kept these plain, but you could also add any other seasonings you’d like.
- Prepare a separate bowl with a beaten egg.
- Cut the fish fillets into fish finger size strips.
- Dip each fish strip into the beaten egg, let any excess drip off, then cover them in the tortilla ‘breadcrumb’ until evenly coated.
- Set them aside on a plate.
To deep fry:
- Pre-heat your fryer to 175C (347F). Or you can simply use a saucepan or wok with a few inches of oil and track the temperature with a food thermometer. Note: for this I use vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is ready, carefully lower the fish fingers into the oil one by one and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Until crispy and golden. Note: don’t overcrowd the fryer/pan / cook them in small batches.
- Let your freshly cooked fish fingers rest briefly on a drying rack or paper towels to get rid of any excess oil.
To shallow fry:
- Heat up 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice) in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the fish fingers and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until crispy and golden.
COOK THE PEPPERS:
- Heat up a frying pan on medium low heat.
- Pan fry finely sliced bell peppers in a bit of olive oil with some tajin seasonings. Until they start to soften up.
TOAST THE TACO SHELLS:
- Heat up a frying pan on medium heat.
- Briefly toast the taco shells on both sides.
MAKE THE TACOS:
- Lay your toasted taco shells on a baking tray.
- Add some spicy peppers, cooked fish, pickled red onions, chopped up fresh coriander and generous amount of grated cheese.
- Place under the grill briefly until the cheese is fully melted.
- Serve with some sour cream and freshly squeezed lime juice on top.