A super easy, soft and moist apple cake traybake topped with a very basic ‘lazy’ sweetened cream cheese icing i.e. cream cheese and a bit of sugar.
I don’t know what it is, but I hate making ‘real’ icing so this works just fine for me. As a bonus, this way you don’t have to add butter and icing sugar (let alone a few tonnes of it) so it’s a bit healthier too. 😉
P.S.: If you want to make a full cake, just double up the recipe and cook your two layers separately in two different cake pans.
1) I’m using Freee Foods flour because this is what’s available to me here, but feel free to substitute with any all purpose gluten free flour blends you have access to where you live.
2) If using a plain flour blend, add 2 teaspoons of baking powder instead of 1.
3) This cake is not overly sweet and I feel like the icing on top makes it just sweet enough for me. Feel free to add more sugar if you have a sweet tooth. 😉
- 80g butter (add ¼ tsp salt if using unsalted)
- 120g grated apple
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 30g whole milk
- 1 egg
- 100g self-raising flour (I used Freee Foods)
- 50g brown sugar (I used dark muscovado)
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder (add 2 if using a plain flour blend)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 120g grated apples
- Plain cream cheese
- Granulated sugar (to taste)
BAKING TIME: 30 to 35 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C (375F) and prepare your cake pan i.e. grease it with oil or butter and then line with a layer of baking paper.
- Add the butter into a large bowl and melt in the microwave (in 10 second increments).
- Then add the rest of the ingredients (minus the grated apple) and mix until smooth and lump free.
- Stir in the grated apple.
- Pour your cake batter into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly. You can also wet your hands a little and pat the top smooth and even.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. To check if it’s fully cooked, poke the centre with a metal skewer or knife. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. If not, cook it a little longer.
- Take your apple cake out of the oven, let it cool down for a few minutes and then remove it from the pan and let it rest on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, slice and serve with icing and toppings of your choice. I used a simple sweetened cream cheese icing, a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon and Schar gluten free pretzel.
How do I translate this to cups, etc..
Hi, this looks super delicious! Do you remember what the dimentions of the pan you used for this recipe were? Thanks x
Does this freeze well?
I’ve never tried freezing it (or any other cake) so I’m not too sure. Sorry!