Hey everyone, I just thought I’d share a simple, basic recipe I’ve been loving lately: homemade baked beans i.e. super quick and easy beans in tomato sauce.
If you’ve never made your own, it’s so worth it. It’s much nicer and healthier than the tinned stuff and it’s really quick, especially if using passata instead of chopped tomatoes which only takes 5-10 mins, tops. You can make a big batch and serve it along whatever you’d like for a quick breakfast in the morning.
Just a nice, cheap and naturally gluten free option. ?
- 1 onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 x 400g canned tomatoes + 200ml water (or 600ml passata for a quick version)
- 1 Tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g canned canellini / butter beans
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or balsamic)
- 1 Tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- Black pepper
- Optional: fresh herb of your choice (basil, coriander or parsley - to stir into the sauce at the end)
- Finely chop the onion and garlic cloves.
- Heat up the butter in a non stick frying pan on low/medium heat and then sauté the onion for a minute or two, until they start to soften up. The addd the garlic and keep cooking briefly, stirring constantly.
- Add all the seasonings and keep cooking briefly.
- Then add canned tomatoes and water (or passata), tomato paste, canned beans (drained and rinsed) and vinegar.
- Simmer until the tomatoes have completely broken down, stirring from time to time. If using passata, you don’t need to cook it for as long (just 5-10 minutes will do).
Hope you like it and if you’re interested, I tend to post more healthy naturally gluten free food inspiration on Instagram so feel free to check it out. 🙂