We made some super quick cheese taco shells yesterday with only one ingredient – extra mature cheddar – that’s literally it! ?
I posted some of these here ages ago, but I had done them in a frying pan which was so much more of a hassle. I BAKED them this time and it was honestly effortless and only took 5 mins or so! Unlike the pan fried ones that were more like the crunchy type, these are soft and flexible kind of like a soft corn tortilla or wraps.
And they’re actually so nice! ? If you don’t have any corn tortillas at home, can’t make your own or simply want something flourless/low carb, then these are well worth a try. I’m gonna be making this more often from now on. ?
Bonus: they’re full of calcium, protein, B12, Vitamin A (retinol), zinc and selenium, among other things. So much more nutritious than a standard corn tortilla. ?
- Extra mature cheddar (or shredded mozzarella)
COOKING TIME: 5 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C (375F).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and add an extra non-stick layer by adding a tiny bit of oil, butter or cooking spray on top.
- Grate some cheese.
- Place the cheese on the baking tray in small piles with no holes (like in the picture collage above) and leaving a good amount of space between each to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges start to brown slightly.
- Let them cool down briefly and carefully unpeel them from the baking paper.
- Let your cheese taco shells rest hanging off something while they cool down. What I like to do is place wooden spoons on top of saucepan and let them hang there while I prep the fillings (see picture collage above).
Let me know what you think if you give them a try! Either here in the comments or on insta. 🙂