I kind of feel silly posting something so basic, but is there anything better than perfectly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside little squary potatoes? As a side to absolute any dish whatsoever? If you’ve been eating a lot of potatoes during this lockdown and are looking for a bit of variation, these are so good, so simple and dangerously addictive. Plus, being tiny cubes mean they cook quicker. Win-win situation. 🙂
P.S.: you don’t need a fryer. Just a saucepan with a couple of inches of oil works just fine. Otherwise just go ahead and bake them.
- Potatoes (I used red potatoes)
- Vegetable oil (to fry)
- Olive oil (a good drizzle)
- Optional: seasonings of your choice (black pepper, herbs, cayenne, paprika, etc.)
PREP YOUR SQUARY POTATOES:
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- Fill a large bowl with water, add a generous amount of salt and let the potatoes soak for a bit while you heat up your oil (or pre-heat your oven if baking).
- Once ready to cook, drain your potato cubes in a colander and then dry them with a kitchen cloth or paper towel. This step is important to get a good texture.
FOR FRIED SQUARY POTATOES:
- Pre-heat your fryer to 190C (375F). For those who don’t have one, add vegetable oil into a sauce pan (about 2 inches deep), heat up on medium/high heat and keep track of the temperature with a food thermometer if you have one (but if not, it’s not necessary – to know if the oil is ready, add a potato cube and if it starts bubbling right away, you’re good to go.).
- Once your oil is ready, add your potatoes and cook for a few minutes, until golden and soft, but crispy on the outside.
- Fish them out with a slotted spoon and let them rest on paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Note: If you like you chips soft, add a sheet of paper towel on top and let it sit for a few minutes. This keeps the moisture in and allows them to soften.
FOR A BAKED VERSION:
- Place your potato cubes on a baking tray lined with baking paper (to prevent sticking) and mix with a generous drizzle of olive oil, salt and any seasonings of your choice.
- Bake your square potatoes in a pre-heated oven at 220C (428F) until crispy and golden. The time can vary depending on your oven and the size of your potato cubes, but it should take max 45 mins.