Some apple fritter ‘doughnuts’ I made yesterday, covered in a mountain of icing sugar. ?
These little beauties are super easy to make. Just peel, core and slice some apples into rings, dip in cinnamon sugar, dip in batter and fry for a few minutes until crispy.
Just a disclaimer for all those who have a sweet tooth out there: I didn’t put any sugar in the batter itself as I don’t generally like these to be too sickly sweet, but feel free to add some. Otherwise adding a good dusting of icing sugar on top or a glaze is just right in my opinion.
Gluten Free Apple Fritter ‘Doughnuts’ Recipe:
- 2 green apples
- Cinnamon sugar coating
- Vegetable oil (to fry)
- 70g gluten free self-raising flour (I used Doves Farm)
- Pinch of salt
- Sugar (to taste - optional)
- 40g whole milk
- 1 large egg (50g)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 part granulated sugar
- 1 part ground cinnamon
- Icing sugar
- Cinnamon sugar
- 100g icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 20g corn syrup
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1-2 tsp whole milk
FRYING TEMPERATURE: 165C to 190C (330F to 375F)
FRYING TIME (per batch): about 5 minutes
- Peel, core and slice your apples into rings (not too thin, about 1 cm thick at least).
- Prepare the batter: add the flour, salt, sugar (optional), milk, egg and vanilla into a mixing bowl and whisk until there are no lumps left.
- Prepare a bowl with a mixture of granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Heat the oil to 165-190C (330-375F), using a food thermometer to keep track of the temperature if using a saucepan instead of a deep fryer.
- Once the oil is ready, dip your apple slices in the cinnamon sugar mixture first, then dip into the batter until completely covered, let any excess drip off and gently drop them into the oil. Fry until crispy and golden (about 5 minutes per batch). Note: cook in batches / avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Let your freshly cooked apple fritter doughnuts rest and cool down on some kitchen towel (to absorb any excess oil).
- Then add a generous dusting of icing sugar or cover in glaze.
- For the glaze: just mix all ingredients together in a bowl (melt the butter in the microwave first).