Today’s post is just a very simple basic recipe: how to make gluten free cheese sauce from scratch. ?
People often ask about cheese sauce on gluten free groups and where to find a gluten free version. While there are some out there, it’s actually incredibly quick and easy to make at home (it only takes a few minutes ?), not to mention it tastes a lot better than any pre-made ones in my opinion. All you need is some butter, cornflour, milk and cheese + seasonings to taste.
Gluten Free Cheese Sauce Recipe:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1.5 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup water
- 70g cheese (or more - I used Red Leicester)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper (a dash)
- Black pepper
- 2 tsp hot sauce (optional - I used Frank's RedHot)
*The water/milk quantity is just a guide. Add as much as you need to reach the desired consistency.
- Melt the butter on medium/low heat in a (preferably non stick) pan, then add the flour and mix well.
- Whisk some of the milk in and as the sauce starts to thicken, keep adding the rest of the cup of little by little. From then on, if the sauce is still too thick (and it most likely will be), switch to adding water little by little until you reach a nice creamy consistency.
- Then turn the temperature to low, add as much grated cheese as you’d like (it all depends on what cheese you use after all), seasonings and hot sauce. Keep whisking until the cheese has fully melted.
- Note: cheese sauce has a tendency to thicken up pretty fast if it sits around, but this happens, just turn the heat back on and whisk in a bit more milk or water. ?