Hi everyone! Today I have another easy, sweet and delicious dessert idea for you: mini gluten free doughnuts made with Isabel’s gluten free baked donut mix and stuffed with a very simple sweetened cream cheese filling. A perfect homemade tea time treat with very little effort. ?
Of course you can use any doughnut mix or recipe of your choice to make these, but if you can get your hands on this Isabel’s mix, I highly recommend it for a quick solution.
I’ve been eyeing up this doughnut mix for the longest time whenever I’m at the supermarket. I’m not normally one to go pre-made with this sort of thing. I tend to find mixes like that a little pricy for something we can make ourselves at a fraction of the cost… But you know what, gluten free doughnuts are a bit of a minefield and I thought it’d be good to try a different flour blend made specifically for doughnuts. I’d also heard good feedback from others so I finally chucked it in my shopping basket and gave it a try. And I was not disappointed. The texture came out really soft and springy, not cake-like, and they have a great flavour! I also love how basic the ingredients are; no unnecessary crap added unlike some other gluten free products.
For those interested, there is no yeast, dairy or egg in the mix itself so these can easily be made without by substituting the added ingredients for suitable alternatives.
This is what the packaging looks like:
T H E I N G R E D I E N T S
I didn’t actually follow the recipe on the back of the packet as I didn’t have the required ingredients, but they still turned out perfect. Here’s what I did:
1. I don’t use vegetable oil and thus very rarely have it at home so I swapped it for the same weight of melted butter instead.
2. I also swapped the milk for diluted plain greek style yoghurt (25g of yoghurt with 35ml water).
3. I used an electric mini ring doughnut maker instead of baking them.
T H E F I L L I N G
For the filling I used my favourite: sweetened cream cheese. ♥ But you can use whatever you want. Whipped cream, peanut butter, jam, pastry cream, marshmallow, Nutella, even fruits, etc. The possibilities are endless. ?
Mini Gluten Free Doughnuts Recipe:
- Isabel's gluten free baked donut mix
- 1 large egg
- 50g vegetable oil or unsalted butter (melted)
- 50g sugar
- 60ml milk (I used 25g plain greek yoghurt + 35ml water as a substitute)
- Cooking spray or oil (to brush over the doughnut maker)
- 140g Plain cream cheese
- 30g caster sugar
- OR any other filling of your choice
- Icing sugar
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until you reach a smooth batter.
- Preheat your doughnut maker and add cooking spray or brush cooking oil on top with a pastry brush. Note: add more before each batch.
- Once ready, fill the doughnut mould with batter and cook until golden and springy to the touch. The cooking time basically depends on your doughnut maker. The back of the packet says 5 minutes, but mine took about 8 minutes per batch.
- Take the doughnuts out and let them cool down for a bit, then roll in icing sugar.
- For the filling, just mix the plain cream cheese and sugar together in a bowl. Then slice an opening in each doughnut (not all the way) and add a spoonful of filling.