This is a really delicious pasta dish that’s very simple to make and while it ticks all the boxes of perfect home cooked comfort food, it’s also (perhaps surprisingly to some) relatively nutritious too.
Whip up a quick side salad to make the meal even more complete without piling on much more calories – some romaine lettuce or fresh spinach, tomato and cucumber slices – and there you have it. 🙂
For those interested, I used Sainsbury’s gluten free fusilli for this dish – my new favourite gluten free pasta! These have a great al dente texture and a really nice flavour too. It may have something to do with the addition of quinoa flour, unlike other brands which are usually made from rice and corn only.
I’ve sampled so many gluten free pasta over the years and I had settled on Morrisons own brand gluten free fusilli for a while, but I’ve been really disappointed with them lately. I don’t know if the recipe has been changed (there’s no indication of that on the packaging), but the texture is not what it used to be. Has anyone else experienced that?
Don’t you hate it when your favourite gluten free products are tampered with and end up crap!? “New and improved recipe” my a**. That’s usually just a code for “we cheapened the recipe and totally ruined it in the process, but we’ll still charge you the same or more anyway”. lol So… hopefully it’s just a bad batch, but in the mean time I’ve moved on to Sainsbury’s gluten free fusilli and really loving it!
- 6-7 asparagus
- A large handful of green beans
- 250-300g pasta (I used Sainsbury’s Deliciously Gluten Free Fusilli)
- A few garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp whole milk (or cream)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice (1 lemon or a few tablespoons of bottled lemon juice)
- Parmesan cheese
Yields 2 to 3 servings.
- Trim the tough base of the asparagus by bending the bottom of the stalks to determine how much needs to be chopped off. Cut the asparagus and green beans into 1 inch pieces. Finely chop the garlic.
- Steam or boil the asparagus and green beans until soft. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta, drain and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, fry the garlic on low/medium heat in a bit of olive oil.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the butter.
- Once melted, add the pasta, milk, garlic powder, oregano, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir gently until everything is well blended.
- Add the asparagus and green beans and keep on stirring gently until hot enough to serve.
- Turn the heat off and squeeze the juice of a lemon on top. Mix well.
- Serve and top with fresh parmesan.