A gluten free brunch basic: perfect light and fluffy gluten free waffles with a thin crispy outer layer. 🙂
Tips for better gluten free waffles:
1. Use an electric hand mixer for an even better, lighter and airier batter.
2. Use applesauce as a sweetener. It’s yummy, healthier, but most importantly it seems to add a certain touch to the batter. Out of all my attempts, the applesauce ones always yield the best result.
3. Try not to open the waffle maker to check up on them too often as this will let out steam and affect the texture.
4. Experiment with cooking times and temperature as this will vary a lot from one waffle maker to the other.
5. Pop leftovers under the grill briefly to get that crispy outer layer again.
Gluten free waffles recipe:
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free self-raising flour (I tend to use Doves Farm or ASDA)
- 2 tsp baking powder (add 3 if using a plain flour blend instead of self-raising)
- ½ tsp salt (or a bit less if using salted butter)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 2-3 Tbsp applesauce or sugar
- Cooking spray or oil of your choice (to grease the waffle maker - I use Fry Light)
With chopped up ham and grated extra mature cheddar cheese. 😛
- Pre-heat your waffle maker.
- Meanwhile, whisk all ingredients until you reach a smooth consistency. The batter should be relatively thick, but slightly runny. The amount of milk needed may vary depending on what flour blend you’re using. If it seems too thick and barely runs, add a few extra tablespoons of milk. Note: you can quickly blend the ingredients in a blender or ideally, use an electric hand mixer for an even airier, fluffier texture. 🙂
- Once the waffle maker is ready, add some cooking spray (or brush a bit of oil) on the waffle plates.
- Spoon the batter on and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Note: the cooking time will vary depending on your waffle maker and the size of your waffles. Mine yields large Belgian style waffles and 9 minutes seems about right.
For more recipes, simple healthy meal ideas, restaurant recommendations and general food inspiration, you can find me on: