An easy, healthy and naturally gluten free dish consisting of baked seasoned sweet potatoes topped with a southwestern style black bean, avocado and sweet corn salad. It’s quite simple to make, absolutely delicious and packed with nutritional goodness! 🙂
It’s also vegetarian and vegan friendly (if you swap the cheese for a dairy free alternative).
For the sweet potatoes:
- 3 small to medium sweet potatoes
- 1 or 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- Extra mature cheddar cheese (about half a cup per serving)
For the Southwestern style salad:
- 400g canned black turtle beans
- 300g canned sweet corn
- 1 large avocado
- 1 small onion
- 1 salad tomato
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (bottled or fresh)
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar (or rice/white wine/red wine vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- Fresh coriander or parsley (optional)
Yields 2 large or 4 small portions.
Note: have a look in the world food or caribbean section of your supermarket for the black beans. They tend to be much cheaper than those sold in the ‘normal’ canned food section.
- Cut the potatoes into 1cm thick slices. In a baking tray, combine with all the sweet potato ingredients (except for the cheese). Mix well to make sure the oil and seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 210C (410F) or until the sweet potatoes have softened up and are fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Finely chop the onion, cut the tomato and avocado into chunks and mix all salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once ready, served the sweet potatoes, grate some cheese over them and top with the salad. Garnish with some fresh coriander or parsley.