Healthy, gluten free and so easy to make: lettuce wraps stuffed with chicken, pak choi, rice noodles and yummy Thai flavours. For my chilli beef and mushrooms version, click here.
- 2 chicken breasts
- Romaine lettuce
- Vermicelli rice noodles (I used Mama)
- 1 pak choi / bok choi
- 2-3 spring onions
- 2-3 garlic cloves (or 1 Tbsp garlic powder)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried basil (or a handful of fresh basil)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (I used Ayam gluten free thick soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp sherry vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice (bottled or fresh)
- 2-3 Tbsp tamari sauce (I used Kikkoman gluten free)
- Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cayenne pepper (just a bit – optional)
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- Sriracha (to garnish – optional)
- Sesame seeds (to garnish – optional)
Yields 6 to 9 lettuce wraps.
- Cut the chicken breasts into small cubes. Pan fry on medium heat in a bit of olive oil.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the bell pepper, garlic cloves, chilli and spring onions and slice the pak choi.
- Add them to the pan once the chicken is fully cooked, along with a bit more olive oil (if needed). Lower the heat to medium/low and cook for a few minutes or until the vegetables start softening up.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, sherry vinegar, tamari sauce, basil, black pepper and a touch of cayenne pepper. Keep cooking for another few minutes.
- In a bowl, add some boiling water to the noodles and cover for a few minutes. Drain once cooked.
- Wash some romaine lettuce leaves and lay them out on plates. Add a layer of rice noodles, some of the chicken mixture and then garnish with sesame seeds and sriracha sauce.