If you’re after a healthier alternative to standard beef burgers or just feel like something a bit different, try tuna. Seriously tuna steaks are amazing in burgers! Their ‘meaty’ flavour and texture make them a great option for those who aren’t such big fans of fish as well (they basically don’t taste like fish at all!).
My boyfriend also made a quick guacamole to use as a condiment and oh my god, what a perfect flavour blend. It totally completed the meal, along with the cream cheese and tomato slices. I highly recommend it. And on top of tasting fantastic, it makes these burgers even more nutritious too.
For the buns I used Genius gluten free triple seeded rolls, found in the reduced section for only 50p. Bargain! Always look in the reduced section first. 😀
- Tuna steaks
- Burger buns
- 1 tomato
- Plain cream cheese (I used Philadelphia)
- Olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice – to cook the Tuna)
- 2 avocados
- 4-5 Tbsp lime juice (I used bottled lime juice to save time)
- 1 heaped Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Black pepper
Yields 2 portions.
- Pan fry the tuna steaks on medium heat in a bit of olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice).
- Meanwhile, prepare the guacamole. Just mash all ingredients together.
- Cut one tomato in slices.
- Make the burgers: spread cream cheese on the buns, add a few tomato slices, then the tuna steak and a generous amount of guacamole on top.
I had mine with homemade rosemary sweet potato fries. 🙂