Here’s a really quick and easy recipe for a South Indian style vegetarian curry I made with paneer. Served with rice, cucumber slices, sugar snap peas (pan fried with garlic and ginger purée) and lychee juice on the side. 😛
This recipe makes 2 portions.
- 1 block of paneer (225g)
- Curry leaves (a handful)
- 1/2 Tbsp fenugreek powder
- 1/2 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion
- Garlic (a few cloves)
- 3-4 small dried red chillies
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh coriander (to garnish – optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cut the paneer into small cubes, mix with the marinade ingredients and set aside (the longer the better, but 10 minutes will do if you don’t have time).
- Cut onion into thin slices and finely chop the garlic.
- Pan fry the paneer on medium/low heat in a bit of oil, flipping them occasionally, until they turn golden brown.
- Turn the temperature down to low, push the paneer to one side and fry the dry red chillies, mustard seeds and curry leaves on the other side for 1 minutes. Add more oil beforehand if necessary and be careful not to burn them.
- Add the onion and fry until it softens up / a couple of minutes.
- Mix everything with the paneer, add the garlic and keep frying briefly.
- Add the coconut cream, water, fenugreek powder and a drizzle of honey and keep cooking on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Keep topping up with a bit of water if the sauce reduces too much.