With parsnips, cavolo nero cabbage and rice. This is an incredibly simple, delicious and healthy soup to make; a perfect autumn comfort food. And since I have a cold right now, it’s exactly what I needed. 🙂
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 cup onion (1 medium onion)
- 2 very large lemongrass stalks (or 4 normal sized ones)
- 2 cups shredded cavolo nero cabbage (also known as black kale)
- 2 cups sliced parsnip (1 large parsnip)
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder (at least)
- 2 Tbsp ginger powder (at least)
- 1/3 cup white rice
- Chicken stock (3 Kallo chicken stock cubes + 8 cups of water)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (optional – I used bottled lemon juice)
- Olive oil
- Finely chop the lemongrass, chop the onion in chunks, slice the parsnip, shred the cabbage and dice the chicken.
- Pan fry the lemongrass and onion on low heat in 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Once fragrant and the onions start to soften up, add the parsnip and cabbage. Carry on frying for a few minutes and add more olive oil if it’s looking dry/starts to stick.
- Add the chicken, garlic and ginger powder (or fresh, of course) and carry on frying briefly.
- Add the water, stock cubes, rice, lemon juice and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn the temperature down to medium/low and let it simmer until everything is cooked through. To speed up the process, use a pressure cooker instead (like I did, which took about 20 mins and the chicken was so tender!).
It was so so good. The flavours of parsnip and lemongrass are such a great combination in my opinion.
I actually can’t wait to have the leftover for dinner. 😉