Lemongrass chicken is such a simple, easy and really delicious Asian inspired recipe that makes for the perfect healthy comfort food! And it’s naturally gluten free too. 🙂
- 1 large chicken breast (or 2 small)
- 1 large onion (2 cups chopped)
- A few cloves of garlic (or lots of garlic powder)
- 2 very large lemongrass stalks
- 3 small handfuls of beansprouts
- 1 red pepper
- 4 green onions
- Chicken stock (I used 1 Kallo chicken stock cube)
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce (I use Datu Puti which is gluten free)
- Juice of 1 lime (or bottled lime juice)
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- Cooking oil (I used olive oil)
- Cut the chicken into small chunks, cut the onion and green onions into slices, the red pepper into chunks and finely chop the garlic and lemon grass.
- Pan fry the chicken in olive oil in a non stick frying pan (on medium heat) until it’s cooked through.
- Turn the heat down to medium/low and add the lemongrass. Fry for a couple of minutes and add the onion. Keep on frying until they soften up a little and add the garlic and red pepper. Fry for a couple more minutes. If it seems dry at any point, add a bit more oil.
- Add some water (about 1 cup) and turn the heat back up to medium. Add the chicken stock cube, fish sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook for a while, until the red pepper chunks are start softening up and the sauce has reduced a little.
- Add the juice of 1 lime and the beansprouts. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the green onions and cook for one more minute.
- If need be, adjust the flavour to your taste by adding more soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar and garlic powder.
I had this with Mama Rice Stick noodles which I recently found in a Chinese supermarket. I had been looking for thicker than usual rice noodles for ages and am really pleased with these! The best rice noodles in my opinion and also certified gluten free (as well as many other Mama products!). 🙂
For simple healthy meal ideas and general food inspiration, you can find me on: