Omg gluten free mac and cheese! I can’t even remember the last time I had this; it was years ago! I don’t know how long this Heinz gluten free macaroni has been available, but it’s the first time I’ve personally seen it in my local supermarket.
Obviously I had to get it and make the delicious tomato & cheese macaroni recipe I used to love. And I wasn’t disappointed. Heinz gluten free pasta are actually really good! And gluten free pasta in general is pretty good these days (if you know how to cook properly, that is!).
(Makes 2 large portions)
- 250g macaroni (half a bag of Heinz gluten free macaroni)
- 1 onion
- A few garlic cloves (or garlic powder – to taste)
- 4 salad tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato purée
- A handful of fresh basil leaves (or to taste; I like to out a lot)
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 + ½ cup milk
- Extra mature cheddar
- Parmesan (optional)
- Vegetable stock (½ of a Kallo cube)
- Salt & black pepper
- Olive oil
- Put the macaroni to cook.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes in small cubes and finely chop the onion, garlic and basil.
- Fry the tomatoes in a bit of olive oil in a non stick pan (medium/low heat) until they soften up and are breaking down. Add the onion and garlic and carry on frying for a few minutes.
- Turn the temperature to low and add the milk, tomato paste, stock, basil , nutmeg and black pepper. Simmer for a few minutes and then add as much grated cheese as you’d like (basically a LOT :D). If you feel like it’s too liquid/the flavour isn’t strong enough, carry on cooking for the sauce to reduce or add more cheese, garlic powder and basil (or any other herbs you’d like).
- Add the the cooked macaroni to the sauce, mix well and serve.