This is what I cooked for lunch today, an Irish minced beef stew served with a salad on the side. It’s such a simple recipe and a perfect comfort food, while still being healthy.
(Serves 3 to 4)
- 500g minced beef
- 4 carrots
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves (or more)
- Gravy (I used a gluten free Kallo beef gravy sachet – you can also make your own using beef stock thickened with cornflour)
- 1 beef stock cube
- Herbs (a generous amount of rosemary and oregano)
- 1 Tbsp tomato purée
- Cayenne pepper or red chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Finely chop the onions and garlic cloves and roughly chop the carrots and potatoes.
- Fry the minced beef in a bit of olive oil in a non stick pan. Once cooked, add the onions and garlic. Once fragrant, add the carrots and potatoes. Add the herbs and a bit of cayenne pepper or chilli flakes and fry briefly.
- Add the gravy and stock cube + 750 ml of water. Add the tomato purée, a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cover, bring to a boil and then lower the temperature to let it simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked (about 30 mins). Stir occasionally.
Hiya was looking for a simple stew for lunch today saw this look easy to do so il give it a go.ill probably put my own. Twist ect to it I’ll. Let u no how it goes cheers.. Makb
In ‘lockdown’ due to Coronavirus.
Great quick go to recipe.