After my quick yoghurt based cinnamon buns not only turned out so soft and fluffy but best of all, incredibly easy! I felt like a savoury version was in order: delicious little gluten free pizza rolls. 🍕
I’m seriously amazed with how easy the process is compared to all my previous attempts at rolls. As I often mention in my posts, baking with gluten free flour often involves having to choose between a good texture or a manageable dough since it requires more liquid to produce good results. We’re rarely given the honour of enjoying both. lol
But these rolls go against all gluten free odds. They’re really soft and yet you can easily handle the dough with your hands without any sticking or hassle. 👌
And all you need is 4 core ingredients. 🙌
- 80g gluten free bread flour blend (I used Freee Foods/Doves Farm)
- + extra flour to knead and roll (about 8 tsp / 20-30g)
- 2 generous heaped tsp baking powder
- 40g butter (melted)
- 110g plain yoghurt (ideally the thick Greek-style kind)
- Pinch of salt (only if using unsalted butter)
- 2 heaped Tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Seasonings of your choice (I put oregano, garlic powder, salt, cayenne, black pepper)
- Extra mature cheddar
- Shredded mozzarella
BAKING TIME: 20-25 mins
*If you don't have gluten free bread flour, you can substitute for an all purpose blend, but bear in mind that you may need to add a little bit more flour.
PREPARE THE DOUGH & PIZZA SAUCE:
- Combine 80g of flour with the baking powder, butter (melted) and yoghurt until smooth and lump free.
- Then add more flour 1 teaspoon at a time, kneading the dough with your hands, until you have a smooth dough ball. It should still be relatively sticky, but just about manageable with your hands. This amount will vary for everyone depending on the flour blend you use or the type of yoghurt.
- For the pizza sauce, mix the tomato purée with olive oil and seasonings of your choice.
PREPARE THE PIZZA ROLLS:
- Lay a sheet of baking paper down on your work surface and sprinkle a light coating of flour on top (to prevent sticking).
- Add your dough along with a sprinkle of flour on top and flatten with your hands in a rectangular shape until about 1 cm thick.
- To make sure the dough isn’t sticking to the baking paper, run a spatula underneath all around the edges, pushing extra flour underneath if necessary to unstick it.
- Spread the pizza sauce top and and add a generous amount of grated cheese.
- Carefully roll the dough tightly, using the baking paper to help you out.
- Slice into 4 to 6 equal portions. Note: I only made a half batch in the pictures hence why my roll seems small. 😉
- Grease a muffin tray or baking dish/ramekins with butter and then dust a bit of flour over the bottom and sides (I like to use a sieve for this but it’s not necessary).
- Then add your pizza rolls and press with your fingers to squish them a little and make them wider.
COOK YOUR PIZZA ROLLS:
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C (375F).
- Cook your gluten free pizza rolls for about 20-25 minutes, until nicely puffed up and slightly golden.
- Let them cool down for a bit, pop them out of their mould and serve.
HOW DO I STORE THEM / FREEZE THEM?
Store any leftovers in a an airtight container and microwave them for a bit to soften them up again. But as it goes with this type of recipes (especially when gluten free), they are better eaten fresh straight out of the oven. 👍
Hope you enjoy them! Let me know what you think if you give them a try, either here in the comments or on insta. 🙂