Following on from my homemade pastry post on Instagram last week, I added a new favourite to the collection: some super simple and easy strawberries and cream turnovers filled with fresh strawberries and sweetened vanilla cream cheese. And of course, as usual I used Jus-Rol gluten free puff pastry which is simply the best in my opinion.
P.S.: look at all those layers and how flaky they are!? I didn’t really do anything different other than (accidentally) letting the pastry sit at room temperature for much longer than usual before baking (over 30 minutes instead of 5 to 10). I have no idea if this actually affected the result or if it was just a very good pastry batch, but the texture was especially good this time. 🙌
Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream turnovers Recipe:
* I purposely didn't make these very sweet at all (for personal preferences) and the Madagascan Vanilla that I'm using already contains syrup, so feel free to add sugar to the filling and adjust to your liking!
- Mix the cream cheese, vanilla and cornflour until smooth, then and the finely chopped strawberries. Note: as I mentioned above, this filling isn’t very sweet at all (and the vanilla I’m using already contains syrup) so feel free to add sugar! Also, the cornflour is there to prevent the liquids in the filling from messing up the pastry so don’t skip it.
- Carefully unroll the pastry and smudge any cracks with your fingers. Note: letting the pastry sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before getting started helps prevent cracking.
- Cut the pastry into 6 squares.
- Add a spoonful of filling on one side, fold and press all edges closed with your fingers.
- Using a fork, create dents along the surface of the edges (but don’t go all the way through the pastry).
- Transfer the pastries onto a baking tray and brush some beaten egg all over them.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (180C/356F) for about 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Take them out of the oven, let them cool down and add a generous dusting of icing sugar on top.