How to make super quick, easy and perfectly crispy paneer and halloumi fries at home with a spicy gluten free flour coating. 🧀
You’ve probably seen halloumi fries around as they’ve been so popular for a while! But interestingly I don’t ever see anyone use paneer. For those who aren’t familiar with it, it’s a fresh cheese common in South Asia, but especially popular in India. Just like halloumi, it doesn’t melt when cooked so I thought I’d give both a try for these and they ended up being perfect in their own ways! The halloumi fries have a bit more flavour in my opinion, but on the other hand the paneer version came out even crispier. Plus, it’s a bit cheaper than halloumi too. 👍
If you’ve never had these before, they’re so good and well worth a try. Best of all, they’re ridiculously easy to make and only take 2 minutes to cook!
And as a bonus, they’re pretty low carb too. 😊
Gluten Free Paneer & Halloumi Fries Recipe:
- 150g halloumi
- 130g paneer
- ¼ cup gluten free flour (I used Doves Farm self-raising)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Vegetable oil (to deep fry)
COOKING TIME (per batch): 2 minutes
- Add a couple of inches of oil in a pan and heat it up to 180C (356F) using a food thermometer.
- Cut the cheeses in fry shape.
- Mix the flour with the seasonings.
- Roll the cheese in the flour mixture until fully coated. Note: wet the paneer with water first if the flour won’t stick.
- Once the oil reaches the right temperature, cook the paneer and halloumi fries in batches for 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place the freshly cooked fries on a sheet of kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve with your choice of dips.