An autumn twist on a British classic: gluten free pumpkin spice scones. ? If you’ve never tried making your own scones at home, you may be surprised to find out that they’re actually incredibly easy to make and they taste a million times better homemade. ?So if it’s something you’ve been missing, give them a try!
You can also find my plain scones recipe: here
1. If using a plain flour blend, add xanthan gum (if possible) and extra baking powder.
2. Warm up leftovers in the microwave before eating.
3. If you’re struggling to find canned pumpkin (it can be surprisingly hard to find in the UK), Waitrose is the only supermarket in my experience that always has some in stock.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Scones Recipe:
- 300g gluten free self-raising flour blend (I used Doves Farm)
- 60g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 11g (about 2 large Tbsp) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 75g butter
- 155g (about 6 Tbsp) canned pumpkin
- 80ml whole milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Egg wash (1 egg + dash of milk | to brush over the scones)
Make the dough:
- Preheat the oven to 220C (428F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Then add the butter and mix with your hands until you reach a something that resembles a breadcrumb texture.
- Add the spices and mix well. Then add the milk, canned pumpkin and vanilla extract and mix with a spoon or your hands. The consistency should be thick and sticky, like in the picture below:
- Lightly flour your work surface and knead the dough briefly until you can form a ball. Note: you’ll have to wet your hands slightly first to prevent sticking.
Make the scones:
- Flatten the dough with your hands until it’s about 1 inch thick and shape the scones using a cookie cutter (note: dip the cookie cutter in flour first to prevent sticking). Then re-roll the dough to make more scones.
- Place the scones on the baking tray and add egg wash with a pastry brush (1 egg beaten with a dash of milk).
- Bake for 18-20 mins on the middle shelf.