Hi everyone, today I have some more easy baking inspiration for you: gluten free pastry sandwiches made with ready rolled gluten free puff pastry. They’re super easy to make, perfect for breakfasts and lunches and a fun alternative to gluten free bread if you’re getting a bit bored with normal sandwiches.
Here I had mine with pastrami, extra mature cheddar, dijon mustard and gherkins, but of course you can add just about any filling you’d like. 👍
1. Be careful with wet ingredients as these can make the pastry soggy and prevent it from puffing up the way it should. So go easy on the condiments and ideally have it wrapped up inside the filling rather than spreading it directly on the pastry.
2. Don’t overdo the filling.
3. Don’t skip the egg wash. Besides giving the pastries a nice golden appearance, it also helps everything stick together a bit like glue.
Gluten Free Pastry Sandwiches Recipe:
- Gluten free puff pastry (I used Jus-Rol)
- Egg wash (1 egg + a dash of milk)
- Pastrami (9-12 slices)
- Extra mature cheddar (6 slices)
- Dijon mustard
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (400F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take the ready rolled puff pastry out of the fridge and let it sit for 5 minutes at room temperature before unrolling it (if too cold, it’ll crack).
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: slice the gherkins and cheese.
- Unroll the pastry, divide into 6 squares and cut little diagonal flaps along the sides (as seen in the pictures below). Add the filling in the centre (wrapping the cheese, mustard and gherkins inside the pastrami) and carefully braid the pastries, making sure to seal the top and bottom edges by folding the pastry over a little and pressing it shut with your fingers.
- With a pastry brush, add a thin layer of egg wash over the pastries (1 egg beaten with a dash of milk).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven, until they turn golden brown. Then take them out and let them cool down a bit on the baking tray.
- NOTE: Reheat leftovers briefly in the microwave or under the grill for best results.