A quick, stove-top only, super easy macaroni cheese recipe that only takes 10 to 15 minutes tops from start to finish. No baking, no flour, no roux. Just a simple, but equally tasty, cream cheese based recipe.
And in case you didn’t know, Sainsbury’s recently released the best ever gluten free macaroni! From the flavour to the texture to the cooking time (this one cooks seriously fast, in just 4 or 5 minutes), in my opinion it beats all the other options out there. So if you have a Sainsbury’s nearby, I highly recommend it! 👍
Easy Macaroni Cheese Recipe:
- Gluten free macaroni (I use this one from Sainsbury's)
- 1 heaped Tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves (more or less, depending on your taste)
- 6 Tbsp / 120g plain cream cheese
- ½ cup / 120ml whole milk
- ¾ cup / 80g grated extra mature cheddar (or cheese of your choice)
- Dash of nutmeg
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- Black pepper
- Optional: finely chopped fresh chilli
- Cook the pasta. The trick to cook the best gluten free pasta is to use a very large pan with a lot of water so the pasta has ample space to swim in. That prevents sticking and stops the water from getting all starchy and gloopy. Also make sure that the water has reached boiling point BEFORE adding the pasta in and keep it boiling all the way through on medium/high heat. Never add the pasta in cold water. Keep test-tasting the pasta until al dente (it should still have a certain firmness to it). Then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, finely chop, grate or crush the garlic cloves.
- In a non-stick pan, melt the butter on low heat and pan fry the garlic (and finely chopped chilli, if applicable) for a minute or two, until fragrant.
- Turn the heat to medium/low, add the rest of the ingredients and keep stirring (with a whisk or spoon) until the sauce is smooth and all the cheese has melted. Note: to prevent curdling, don’t let it bubble; lower the heat if necessary.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and serve.