Today’s recipe is a Canadian classic: gluten free bear paws!
Those of you on the North American side of the Atlantic are probably familiar with these delicious, soft and cake-like cookies known as bear paws (or bear claws). Growing up in Canada, they were a winter time classic in my house and it’s easy to see why with their rich treacle and gingerbread flavour. 🙂
I casually mentioned bear paws to my British boyfriend and it’s upon seeing the puzzled look on his face that I realised just how Canadian they are… As if the name itself didn’t make that fact obvious enough! 😉 So I decided to try making a gluten free version and here’s the delicious result! They cracked a little bit on top, but the texture and flavour was perfect! And yes I’m aware that bears don’t have 3 toes. lol
Gluten free bear paws recipe:
Difficulty level: easy
Preparation time: 5-10 mins + 30 mins (refrigeration time)
Cooking time: 10 mins
Cooking temperature: 200C/390F
Yields: 12 cookies
Calories (per cookie): 128
- 210g (1 + 1/2 cup) gluten free self-raising flour (I used Doves Farm)
- 45g (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 35g (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 120g (1/4 + 1/8 cup) black treacle / molasses (this is the one I use)
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 ground ginger
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Soften the butter in the microwave.
- Combine with the sugar, egg and treacle in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, spices and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 mins to make the dough more solid. This makes the dough easier to handle and helps the cookies keep their shape during the cooking process.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (390F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Make the cookies: take one spoonful of dough, roll it into a ball between your palms and place it on the baking tray, flattening it slightly. At this point you can attach a few little balls for the toes. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Note: wet your hands slightly, shake off any excess, to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 10 mins.