These healthy low carb coconut waffles are thin, fluffy and delicious, with a mildly sweet flavour. They’re made with very little flour, compared to normal waffles, and are very quick to make. No electric mixer or resting time needed for the batter. 🙂
After just over a month of dieting (on a moderate carb intake), I was really craving some waffles for breakfast and nothing, not even this diet, was going to stop me. lol So I set myself a mission to make a healthy, low calorie, low carb diet friendly version.
And to my surprise they ended up being a complete success! So much so that I’ll probably carry on making these even when I’m done with this diet!
I found quite a few flourless, egg heavy recipes online that looked great, but they all required stiffening the egg whites first. And to be honest I, and I suspect most people, don’t have (or aren’t willing to take) the time to get the electric mixer out on an average morning. Or worse, stiffen the egg whites by hand with a standard whisk! Oh no, no…
Some suggested coconut flour, but it’s not exactly a common ingredient in most people’s kitchen, at least not in mine. And it’s pretty expensive too! I do tend to have some desiccated coconut lurking around (which is way cheaper than coconut flour, even though they’re technically the same thing…), but again, I just know that having to take the grinder out, possibly having to clean it first and grind the dried coconut into flour is not a realistic task for me on an average morning.
So I decided to combine a few different ideas with my own and came up with a quick and easy recipe that only took maximum 5 minutes to prepare.
I ended up mixing eggs, desiccated coconut, plain yoghurt and butter with a bit of sugar, baking powder and a minimal amount of flour. They have about the same caloric content as a slice of gluten free bread, but with two times less carbs. So that’s much better than the average waffle that’s for sure.
My next challenge will be to make a completely flourless recipe, but until then I’m more than happy with these waffles! 🙂
Low carb coconut waffles recipe:
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5-6 minutes per waffle
Yields: 9 waffles
Calories (per waffle): 109
Carb content (per waffle): 8g
- 3 eggs (140g)
- 2-3 Tbsp / 20g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2-3 Tbsp / 25g brown sugar (I used dark muscovado)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp / 40g unsalted butter
- 5 Tbsp / 75g plain full fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 5-6 Tbsp / 45g flour (I used Doves Farm self-raising gluten free flour blend)
- Cooking oil (I use Fry Light Olive Oil Spray)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A few drops of coconut natural flavouring (for an extra coconutty flavour)
- Melt the butter in the microwave in 10 seconds increments, stirring in between each, until the butter has fully melted.
- Combine with the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Heat up your waffle iron (medium/high heat is the best, if yours has a heat setting).
- Spray the top and bottom waffle plates with an oil spray (or brush a small amount of oil on the plates, but I would really recommend using a spray instead). I use Fry Light avocado or olive oil sprays which are only 1 calorie per spray and do an amazing job at preventing sticking!
- Pour a small amount of batter and cook each waffle for 5 to 6 minutes. Note: these waffles are relatively thin so if your waffle iron makes thick waffles like mine, you may want to flip them mid way through as they won’t puff up all the way to the top.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.