I woke up craving some savoury breakfast muffins and threw the below ingredients together somewhat at random, not knowing what results to expect, but oh my god… they’re the best, tastiest gluten free muffins I have ever baked!
I had never been able to achieve such a perfect muffin texture since going gluten free. They turned out so soft, tender, bouncy and with just the right amount of moisture. And they rose nicely too, with perfect slightly hardened muffin tops. 🙂
The only downside is that I was hoping to eat one and freeze the rest for future breakfasts, but we’ve eaten 4 already and I’m having to hold myself back from eating more…. Oh well, so much for that! ??
This recipe yields 8 muffins.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Temperature: 180C (356F)
- 4 eggs
- 4 heaped tsp salted butter (melted)
- 3 to 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Half pack of bacon (about 150g or more)
- Half cup milk
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- Half cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 + quarter cup gluten free self-raising flour (I used Doves Farm)
- 1 heaped Tbsp tomato purée
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and pan fry until crispy.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter (melted in the microwave in 10 seconds instalments), milk, olive oil, oregano, tomato purée, garlic powder, black pepper and sugar. Mix well.
- Grate the cheese and add, along with most of the bacon (but keep a bit to decorate the muffins)
- Add the flour slowly and mix well.
- Place 8 muffin cups in a muffin tray, pour the mixture in and add bacon bits on top (push them down so they sink in a little bit).
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 30 mins.
- Let them cool for at least 10-15 mins before eating.
- Once chilled, reheat for 20 seconds in the microwave to get the best texture.
Enjoy! I will definitely be making this again… and again. Maybe with pepperoni next time. 😛