Great hot or cold, tuna rice is such a quick, simple, healthy dish that works well for any meal of the day, even breakfast! If you have access to a fridge at work, it’s a perfect packed lunch option as well.
Preparation time: 5 mins (to chop the vegetables)
Cooking time: 15 mins (to cook the rice and eggs)
- Cooked rice
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 tin of tuna (preferably in spring water)
- 1 small onion (or half of a normal size one)
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 or 3 Tbsp rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Cook the rice: I typically cook about 1 + 1/2 cup rice in 2 + 1/4 cup water for this. Add salt (and a vegetable stock cube for extra flavour), cover the sauce pan with a lid and bring to a boil. As soon as the rice reaches boiling point, turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Shake the pan occasionally; once the liquid has been absorbed and the rice no longer moves around easily when you shake it, turn the heat off completely and let it sit for another 5 minutes or so.
- Cook the eggs: add the egg to cold water in a sauce pan, bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes. A good way to know if the eggs are cooked is to fish one out of the water with a spoon. If the surface of the egg dries out quickly, it’s ready. Cool down the eggs by running cold water into the pan, peel and cut into slices.
- Finely chop the green pepper and onion.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together with a generous amount of olive oil and black pepper.
For simple healthy meal ideas and general food inspiration, you can find me on: