Baked chicken, chorizo and halloumi kebabs with red onions and a Greek souvlaki style marinade.
Whether baked in the oven or grilled on the barbecue, kebabs are such a simple and delicious meal that never disappoints. They’re quick to make, versatile and I love how they go well with an endless list of sides: rice, salads, couscous (corn based for my fellow gluten free people :p – like this one here), chips/fries, baked potatoes, dips like hummus and tzatziki, mashed potatoes, quinoa… basically anything you want!
And this is by far one of my favourite flavour combination! 🙂
Difficulty level: easy
Preparation time: 5-10 mins (to prepare the kebabs) + 1 hour (to marinate)
Cooking time: 35 mins
Temperature: 200C (about 390F)
- 250g Chicken
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves (or more)
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- The juice of half or 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs paprika
- 1 Tbs oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- Dice the chicken and marinate in olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper (I marinated mine for about 1 hour, but the longer the better). If you’re a garlic addict like me, you can also add some garlic powder. You may want to adjust the quantities to your own taste.
- While the chicken is marinating, soak your skewers in water.
- Preheat the over to about 200C (about 390F).
- Slice the chorizo, cut the red onion and halloumi in cubes and make the kebabs. Place them on a baking tray and pour the rest of the marinade over them (even if it finds itself at the bottom of the pan, it can be used as a sauce after, to add flavour).
- Cook on the middle shelf for about 35 mins, turning them over from time to time.
- Note: if you don’t have any skewers, that’s ok, no need to miss out. You can also oven cook these with the marinade in an oven dish. 🙂